Saturday, February 16, 2008

Julie/Julia


I just finished this fabulous book. I want to cook more, so it seemed like a good option. It's about a woman who hates her life and wants to give it more purpose. So she decides to cook every single recipe in Julia Childs' Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a single year. She blogs about it as she goes and apparently becomes "famous" for it. The book takes from her blogs and documents the year. It's hilariously wonderful.
At one point she's talking about a London diarist from the 17th century:
"What I think is that Sam Pepys wrote down all the details of his life for nine years because the very act of writing them down made them important, or at least singular."
I love that the simple act of writing something can make it important. Getting it out of your head onto paper/screen for someone else to see. Blogging is the same. I couldn't quite put my finger on why I liked it so much. I think it's because of this. Making the everday blah blah blah important. At least note worthy. I like it.

No comments: