Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Insurance

Insurance. Warranty. It's a ridiculously expensive endeavor, and yet, totally there for you when you need it the most. It seems that I have been relying on things that seemed so meaningless when first purchased.


I bought a new car (well, new to me) last week. WOOOOO. As long as money is flying out of all of my orifices as the wedding approaches I might as well add another t-tiny-itty-bitty-little bill to my arsenal.

That's her! Well, not her, because I found that photo on the internet. It looks just like her, but it's not her. Because my new car is back at the dealer. Because her transmission slipped on Saturday. And she needs a new one. Crap. Spending $4000 on a car that I just spent money on is not my idea of a fun day. No worries. IT'S COVERED!!!

Praise God for dealerships that make you haggle hard but then take care of you when you need them and they need to protect their reputation. So, I was thinking about it. What if we had just picked it up from a private seller? Or from one of those sketch little tiny places? What if it wasn't covered? I'd be in a craptastic place. Then I remembered when we bought the condo and on my first entry as an owner I walked into a water heater that was spurting boiling hot water all over MY NEW FLOOR! No worries. Covered. Warranty. That my realtor just threw into the contract for good measure. Praise God for realtors that cover your ass because you're so bogged down in paperwork that you don't even really remember what your name is, just that your signature looks like a long line with a loop 2/3 of the way through and another big one at the end.

Which made me think about wedding insurance. People talk about it, but does anyone ever actually buy it? Perhaps I should buy it in light of my history of major purchases and bad things happening. Boo on reality.

1 comment:

joe said...

"You know what's worse than taxes?
What's worse than tax is insurance.

You got to have some insurance.

They shouldn't even call it insurance.
They just should call it ''in case shit.''

l give a company some money
in case shit happens.
Now, if shit don't happen,
shouldn't l get my money back?"
-Chris Rock

At least you're getting your monies worth.