Friday, August 24, 2007

What Age is the Right Age?

So I'm young to be a bride. Well, that's what people keep telling me. I'm 24, and yet, I feel as if I could potentially be in my late 30's. Hey, I'm an early bloomer. I've always been that way. When I was 16, my boyfriend was 21. (my parents LOVED that!). I just found that people my numerical age were, well, immature. After high school I left my itty bitty tiny town (something that NO ONE does) and went to school 300 miles away. That was a big deal. I found that I liked fending for myself and making it on my own. I'd always been independent and this was real life evidence that I would not starve to death on the floor of my dorm. I would remember to eat! After college I picked up and moved to Los Angeles from North Carolina. There were some times I thought "What the hell am I doing?!". But I pushed through and I'm fabulously happy! Just before my 23rd birthday, we put an offer on a condo. We are officially homeowners! There was some major growing up as I've learned to deal with home fixings all on my own. There is no landlord to call when the toilet is running... push up your sleeves and get it done!

So, I feel that in my 24 years, I've done quite a bit. I think these experiences pushed me to grow and mature and I'm lucky enough to have loved every minute of it. I didn't realize quite how old I was until I thought a party bus to Vegas was a good plan. I thought "ohhh I should remember that I'm 24 and I should go do it up with my other 24 year old friends!" It sucked. It was awful. I am entirely too old to spend 6 hours on a bus in the desert. There was nothing fun about it. I bought myself a plane ticket, ditched my friends and flew home. End of story.

When people find out I am getting married they inquire "But why!? You're so young." or my favorite "Yeah, I thought that was a good plan too. Then I called off the wedding." In a society where marriage and consequently divorce are taken so lightly I want to chide them for their behavior. If you are not ready, you are not ready and there is nothing wrong with that. I curiously find my self readier than I've ever been in my life for marriage. I adore waking up next to him and look forward to getting in bed for the night. He's the first person I want to tell every deep secret. I even look forward to our fights... and the making up :-) So, I find myself in a curious place. Perhaps against the norm, but so ready for what marriage holds. I am excited for the good, excited for the bad and excited for the many memories that we will make. The Guiness Book of World Records holder for the longest marriage is currently 80 years. 80 years. wow. Our new goal is to beat them!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Ya. I totally agree... plus I'm younger. No one's said anything to me yet but I know they are thinking it. Heck, I'd be thinking it!I'm just glad to see there's someone else getting married before their upper 20's!