Friday, August 10, 2007

Emotional War

Underneath the centerpieces and dresses and guest books and flowers and virtually everything that we associate with weddings there is the huge emotional war happening with all of those involved. Everyone has ideas of how things should be and what is appropriate. When I got engaged and starting reading horror stories of other couples I thought "My guests would NEVER do something like that" or "Wow, people are crazy... thank GOD we know normal people". And at 5 months out, some of the crazies are starting to come out of the woodwork. There was the childhood friend that called me after not speaking for years and said "You want your oldest friend to be there, right!? I'll myspace you my address". I was in such complete and utter shock that I could open my mouth to say "do huh?".





But not all of these moments are so cut and dry. You don't want to be a bridezilla, but you want the day to be just as you imagined. My mother sent me a sketch of her dress. She is a brillant seamstress and is designing and constructing her own gown. The sketch has a veil. Do Huh? When I asked her about it, I was informed that it is not a veil it is a "hat" and that Emily Post suggests that all Mothers wear "hats". Well, this "hat" looks just like the birdcage veil that I am wearing. Is it too much to ask that I be the only person wearing a veil to my own wedding? Veils are for weddings (FOR THE BRIDE) and for funerals.

(it's the pencil drawing on the silver dress lady)







I don't want to be the crazy bride that dictates what every person will be wearing, but I don't really want her to wear it either.



What's a bride to do?

No comments: